Need a Summer Job?
OREGON PARKS AND RECREATION DEPARTMENT
The Cove Palisades State Park
Visitor Experience Program Staff
JOB TITLE: Visitor Experience Program Assistant
ANTICIPATED DURATION OF POSITION: Four month duration in 2014; 652 hours
WORK SCHEDULE: Memorial Day – Labor Day; 40 hours per week with three, consecutive, mid-week days off; weekends, evenings, and holidays. Some overnight travel possible.
SALARY: $11.94 hourly; $1,910.40 monthly
LOCATION/JOB SITE(S): The Cove Palisades State Park, Peter Skeen Ogden Wayside
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED: Beginning April 21, 2014 until the position is filled.
Assists with the administration, planning, training and implementation of visitor-focused programs. Programs and projects are related to interpretation, outdoor skills instruction, volunteer management, outdoor recreation, environmental education, partnership groups, and special events.
• Daily support of and assistance with visitor experience programs and projects, including but not limited to: Let’s Go, interpretive programs, park volunteers, Jr. Ranger programs, and special events.
• Working with a variety of OPRD office and field staff, and park volunteers to ensure consistency in operational procedures, projects, and products.
• Creating, organizing, maintaining, and transporting program supplies and equipment.
• Preparing marketing and program materials for a variety of audiences to support new and ongoing programs.
REQUIRED AND PREFERRED SKILLS, EDUCATION, and EXPERIENCE:
• Educational background in parks, interpretation, environmental education, volunteer management, outdoor recreation or tourism preferred.
• Experience working in one or more of the following program areas: interpretation, outdoor skills instruction, volunteer management, outdoor recreation, environmental education, partnerships, and special events.
• Specialized skills in developing and safely leading outdoor programs with a wide variety of audiences.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office products required.
• Ability to multitask on a variety of ongoing simultaneous projects. Independence, creativity and resourcefulness are key in this position.
• Must be willing to communicate openly, ask questions, accept positive criticism, and work as a part of a dynamic team.
• Applicant must also pass a criminal background check and possess a valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record.
ORIENTATION, TRAINING AND EVALUATION:
Visitor Experience Program Assistants will receive a thorough employee orientation and written position expectations from lead workers. You may attend CORE training. OPRD Safety modules will provide job safety training. Project and task-specific on the job training provided to use tools and systems in place. Ongoing coaching and mentoring will be provided by supervisor and other team members. A final evaluation and exit interview will be provided at the end of the season.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT TO BE USED:
• Varied work environments depending on work location; must be willing and able to work in a busy, shared office environment and also out-of-doors, in uniform.
• Computer with e-mail account and access to Internet, phone, audio-visual equipment and other tools provided.
• Operation of a state vehicle expected – may include cars, trucks, vans, or golf carts, possible trailer towing.
FOR MORE INFORMATION & TO APPLY:
Submit a cover letter and detailed resume which describes your interest and relevant experience. Please be sure to state the dates that you are available.
David Slaght, Park Manager
Erin Bennett, Interpretive Ranger
The Cove Palisades State Park
7300 SW Jordan Road
Culver, OR 97734
Posted on April 17, 2014, in Environmental Education, Job Opening, Oregon State Park Information and tagged Environmental Education job, natural rescource seasonal job, summer jobs with Oregon Parks. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.